This birthday dinosaur cake is the bomb. It is prehistorically, ridiculously easy to make (like crazy easy). This easy dinosaur cake only needs a few ingredients – cake mix, frosting, and chocolate! That is it. Really it’s so straightforward you could probably memorize this recipe.
If you are looking for other treats to go along with your dinosaur birthday cake, try some Rosemary Shortbread Cookies, Easy Bake Oven Sugar Cookies, or Key Lime Cookies!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow SydneyLoveskitchen on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this DIY Dinosaur Cake recipe to your Dessert Board!
How To Make a Dinosaur Cake
Dinosaur cake how to is super simple. To make the dinosaur theme cake:
- Prepare two 8 inch round cake pans. Mix cake mix and ingredients per the package (that’s the hardest part).
- Bake cakes as instructed on the package.
- Remove cakes and let them cool completely. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the cake as directed in the recipe below and in photos.
*See template link found here (search “template” on the page, it’s not easy to spot).
- Frost and decorate with dinosaur cake ideas by using chocolate chips and Hershey’s Kisses.
Don’t forget to keep the cake scraps. Make cake pops out of the left over cake pieces and frosting (or just eat them yourself as a treat!).
Joy To The World The Cake Is Here
Cake is a wonderful thing! If you see an amazing birthday dinosaur cake, you probably think, ” Why can’t I make that DIY dinosaur cake!” Then you go home, try it and it may not be as easy as it seems.
Bummer! Well, you won’t fail with this kids dinosaur cake. Making this simple dinosaur cake is as easy as it seems, so let’s try it!
It is laughably obvious that you need to make it again and again – as a boy dinosaur cake or a girl dinosaur cake. When someone takes a bite of homemade dinosaur birthday cake, they may ask, “Why don’t we have this cake more often?” When your friends ask you how to make it, tell them you found it at Sydney Love’s Kitchen!
As you can see, a homemade dinosaur cake is easy, cute and fun to make. Kids and adults can make this simple cake. It’s good to eat and fun to celebrate, any day of the year!
Easy Dinosaur Cake
- 8 inch round cake pan
- 1 box red velvet cake or cake of your choice, PLUS ingredients listed on package
- 2 containers vanilla frosting premade, or make your own
- green food coloring
- 10 Hershey’s Kisses
- 30 chocolate chips
- 1 candy eye optional
- Preheat oven as directed on the package. Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans. Prepare (18x14) serving tray, or cover cardboard with foil, for dinosaur cake.
- Bake cake as directed on the package. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from pan. Cool completely. Cut top of cake to make flat if it has risen in the middle. Refrigerate or freeze 30 minutes to make shaping and frosting easier.
- Turn cake over so flat (bottom) side is on top. See template link found here (search “template” on the page, it’s in small writing). Cut one 1 inch slice across bottom of cake. Cut an upside down “U” in the bottom to create legs. Put cake in the middle of serving tray. Cut head and tail from second cake. Arrange head and tail on the body.
- Set aside 3 Tablespoons of frosting. In a bowl, mix remaining frosting with green food coloring until it reaches desired color. Add a small amount of frosting between body and head, and between body and tail. Frost cake with a thin layer of frosting (crumb coat). Refrigerate or freeze for 30 minutes.
- Frost cake with frosting (there will likely be leftover frosting). Use Hershey’s Kisses along top of cake for spikes. Decorate dinosaur body with upside down chocolate chips (or right side up if preferred).
- Add white icing (set aside earlier) to a zip top bag and cut the corner. Use to draw on a mouth and add any white dots to the dinosaur. In place of a candy eye, use a chocolate chip and white icing to create an eye.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
PIN this DIY Dinosaur Cake recipe!
Adapted from Betty Crocker
How easy and adorable! Thank you for sharing this sweet cake. Perfect for a little youngster!